Saturday, December 13, 2014

Red & White Burlap Tree Skirt

I looked and looked for a tree skirt for our Christmas tree that I liked, but couldn't find one. What's a girl to do? Oh, that's right! Make one!

I originally had good intentions to make a one with my sewing machine, but the image of one I liked on Pinterest could be done without one... I'm not complaining.

What is needed:

One yard of fabric
5 Burlap Rolls
Hot glue gun and sticks
Scissors

Notes:
 - The fabric doesn't have to be soft or cute, since it's just a base. However, you might want to get a more durable one to last longer and hold the glue/burlap.
 - Michaels and Hobby Lobby sell rolls of burlap in different colors that are about five or six inches wide. I needed four red rolls and one white roll.


Steps:

1 - Fold your base fabric twice to make it a quarter of the size. Cut in a circular fashion from two opposite corners, so the corner with no folds is removed.

2 - With the fabric still folded, cut in a circular fashion the remaining 90 degree about 3-4 inches.

3 - Unfold your fabric and you should have a circle with a small circle cut out in the middle.

4 - Cut in a straight line from the outside in. This will enable you to slide the skirt over the tree.

5 - Begin to cut the burlap rolls. Cut them approximately by the foot - just try to make sure they all are the same size.

6 - Fold over the rolls, but don't press them. You want them to stay rounded.

7 - Begin gluing along the edge of the fabric. I did red with white every so often so it was just speckled throughout the skirt. You should finish an entire row before beginning the next, working from the outside in.

In this pic, I've almost finished the first row.


8 - Continue folding and gluing until you've reached the inner circle.

9 - When you've reached the end, fold the fabric over the inner edge to prevent fraying of the fabric.

10 - It may take a while since the there are a lot of strips of burlap, but it is easy and looks great.

Here is the final look under the tree.



I had some left over burlap, so I will post next week to show what I decided to do with it! Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment