Saturday, February 14, 2015

Ruler Growth Chart Craft

For a while now, I've been looking for a growth chart. I didn't want to write on the walls of the house (what if we moved? I wouldn't get to keep it). After much deliberation - and searching on Pinterest - I decided I loved the look of the giant rulers, especially since they could be whatever color I wanted.

So I searched and searched... it's been about six months. I don't really need one until Adam's first birthday, but I wanted to make sure it was here by then. They were all SOOO expensive though! I looked on Etsy first because I like to support individuals before going to major chains. Although some of their work looked good and was priced okay, shipping for all made the cost twice as much. As much as I wanted once, I wasn't willing to pay $60-$100 for one. Next I checked Amazon as well as Kirkland's (someone said they saw them there) and again it was $60. I finely contacted someone local who I knew did Etsy type crafts for sell, but she didn't have the color I wanted, so I moved on. Surely, I could find something better... or could I make it myself. I know I couldn't do the  woodwork, so I decided to look at Home Depot - and wouldn't you know it, they had them and were on SALE too! Home Depot also gives free shipping over a certain point and I was already buying some items from them, so yay for no extra cost!


 I next went to Hobby Lobby, where they know me and Adam by name to get what else I needed. I found some white spray paint for wood. I already had black paint and paint brushes from other projects, so I didn't need to purchase those.

So I spray painted the ruler first in a bright white (to match the door frames and baseboards in our house). I only did once coat on the back, since you won't see it ever, and three coats on the front and sides. The paint dried so quickly that I was able to do all of the coats in one day. Sorry I didn't get a picture of it after this process.

The next day, I painted the lines and numbers. These are already grooved into the wood, so it was really easy to follow the lines. I used a very small, simple paintbrush and all-purpose, black craft paint.


Once it dried, I was able to fix any mess ups with the black paint with the white, oil-based Sharpie I already had. I was out of white craft paint, but that could be used too; however, the Sharpie worked wonderfully!


Once it was dry, I put it up and I'm so glad I didn't compromise the color or style I wanted.


Note: A lot of the persons on Etsy will make the ruler to start at six inches instead of at one so that you can put it on the wall above the baseboard. Home Depot starts at the bottom, so if you have a baseboard, you will either need to cut it yourself once it comes in or put it somewhere else. I decided to put it somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment