Saturday, March 14, 2015

Spring Tulip Wreath

I have made several wreaths in the last couple of years, but I realized a few weeks ago that I didn't have one for springtime. Last night, after Adam went down for bed and with Rusty being out of town, I decided to make one.

What is needed:

2 bouquets of artificial tulips (I went with pink, orange, and yellow)
Twig twisted wreath
Wooden "B"
Yellow Mesh
Yellow Paint
Hot glue gun and glue
Clippers/Scissors (that can cut the flower stems)

What to do:

This wreath took about an hour. It's super simple once you get into your groove. I picked up the tulips, wreath, "B", and mesh from Michael's. The other materials I had on hand from other projects.


Start by cutting the tulips and the leaves from the bouquet so they're singular. You'll take these one by one and weave them into the wreath. Start from the farthest point to the center. I started with the top flowers and stopped about two-three inches from my center point where the bow will be. Make sure you toss in some of the leaves to get some greenery in there.


Do the same technique for the bottom flowers. I wanted a bit of asymmetry, so I put the farthest bottom flower closer than I did for the top. Again, you'll want to stop two or three inches from the center point. If the gap is too big, you can correct later, but it is a lot harder to pull out the flowers after they're layered.





Next, plug in your hot glue gun so it will start warming up. While it is warming up, paint the first layer of your letter. I did three layers on my "B" because I really wanted the yellow to pop and no wood grain to show through.


Once your glue gun is hot, take your mesh and wrap it around the center point of your flowers. I think I had to wrap it four times, but depending on the color you chose, you may need to do it more or less. Glue the edge of the mesh - which you should position on the back of the wreath. I pushed the gun nozzle into the mesh holes to really get the glue in all the mesh layers.


While the glue is drying - put another layer of paint on your letter if needed.

Now that your mesh is dry, you can add more flowers closer to it if you need to. Then, build your bow. Because we're using tulips, I didn't want to do a round bow because I think that works better with round flowers. Instead, I did a traditional bow. Cut a small piece of the mesh to tie around the center of the bow and the mesh that is already on your wreath. This will attach the bow to the wreath and blend it to the mesh that is already there. Add some glue if you want to make sure it is secure.



Glue your letter, which should be dry from the paint, to your wreath. I did mine slightly lower than the bow on the opposite side.


Cut off any flower stems or twigs that may poke out and look odd. Also, turn any flowers needed to show the best angle. Then... you're done!

Go ahead and hang your wreath for the world to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment